The first traces of the Yquem estate date back to the 15th century. In 1593, Jacques Sauvage bought the estate. During the century and a half that followed, the estate remained in the Sauvage family, who never stopped enlarging the estate and buying plots of land. They also created at that time the castle of the domain. The domain will take the name of Yquem only in 1711. The winery was created more than a century later, in 1826. In 1855, the wine of Château d’Yquem took part in the Universal Exhibition organised by Napoleon III and received praise for its wine as well as its Grand Cru Classé distinction. The rest is well known, all Europe but also Russia and Japan rushed to the castle to taste this subtle wine.
The end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century are not the best years for Château d’Yquem. The estate was invaded by insects, called Phylloxera, which attacked the vines. In 1914, Château d’Yquem was transformed into a military hospital, and the owner of the estate left to fight for France. The years following the First World War were not good, but the owners still set up the bottling system at the château and the manager participated in the determination AOC Sauternes for its wines. After the Second World War, Château d’Yquem develops internationally and 1975 is marked by its high quality wine.
A truly prestigious wine, Château d’Yquem wine has always been a delight for great meals. We very regularly put Château d’Yquem wines on sale.
If you wish to include a batch of Château d’Yquem wine, please do not hesitate to contact Marion QUESNE, head of the Wines and Spirits department at Aguttes.