CHAUMET was founded in 1780 by Marie-Etienne NITOT, a former employee of the workshops of the jeweller AUBER, Marie-Antoinette’s official supplier. It became the official supplier of Napoleon Bonaparte and then of the Empire from 1802. Nitot created various pieces of jewellery such as the crown of the Empress Josephine or the handle of the Emperor’s sword. In February 1810, Marie-Louise de Hasbourg-Lorraine also wore a Nitot creation during her union with the Emperor.
The Belle Epoque period is marked by the arrival of Joseph Chaumet. He marries Prosper Chaumet’s daughter Marie and then becomes its leader. He is considered as “The Master of the Belle Epoque”. This period is marked by the profusion of creation of tiaras and aigrettes, often adorned with fine pearls, fashion accessories and emblems of power.
The House of Chaumet was renowned for its fine pearl offerings. At the beginning of the 20th century, the jeweller sold an average of five thousand pearl necklaces per year worth between one thousand and one million francs. The period between the two world wars reflects the Art Deco style with its simple and pure lines as well as the orders of the maharajas where precious stones adorn the ornaments in abundance… The post-World War II years allow women to wear simpler jewelry, every day, at any time of the day…
Contemporary collections are a beautiful nod to the history of this great jewellery house renowned for its link with the Empire period, whose symbol, the bee, is used in many of its creations, as well as the spider accompanied by the bee, which are used in the “Attrape moi … si tu m’aimes” collection. The “Joséphine” collection also takes up the style of the Empress’ tiaras. One of Chaumet’s most famous contemporary collections is “Liens”, whose ring was first marketed in 1977 and is available as a pendant, ring, bracelet, earrings and necklace….